Mission Home Address:

Elder Ammon Woolbert
Alaska Anchorage Mission
3250 Strawberry Rd.
Anchorage, AK 99502





Monday, December 31, 2012


Dear Family,

                I just got off the airplane about an hour ago. We had our trip to Huslia this weekend. Wow was that something else. Hahaha. It is a small, small village. It has about 300 people living there give or take. We flew in Friday morning. We flew on a little bush plane. That was cool but it scared the crap out of me a couple of times. You are at the mercy of the wind in that little tin can. Hahaha. But we made it there safely and when we landed and stepped off the plane it was like stepping into another world. All native people just looking at you like you’re a freak. Hahaha. It was freaking funny. We had a blast. We slept in the high school. There is only one member family there in town so we were with them all the time. They had a lot of plans and meetings set up for us to teach but a lot of them fell through because it was -56 degrees outside and cars don't run well and snow machines don't run well either. So most people just hunker down and stay inside. But we still would walk through the snow and cold to people’s houses and meet with them. I met a famous native man. He is an old dog sled racer and has won one of the dog sled races ten times. It's not the Iditarod it’s some other sled race that he won. Well anyways he was way cool and liked us a lot. We got to help him with his dogs and he has a dog that is worth over 10,000 dollars. Crazy huh. Well anyways things were good. There is work to be done in the village but you need to be there for a while to get the trust of the people and then the doors will open for the work. We talked to a lot of people and you can tell they were interested they are just a reserved people if that makes sense.  I will tell you more about it over the phone, ok. So the times you gave me for Christmas will be hard but I will try and make them work. I will probably call Christmas Eve and work things out with ya all.

I will be sure to keep my eyes out for the boxes you sent us. I will make sure to not open then things you wrapped up. You and dad are the best. Thanks so much for all you do for me. I think that's really funny about Mr. Mouw. That would have been way cool to meet his son and talk. Too bad I missed him. You are doing a good job mom on planting that seed for him. I do not know why he liked me so much though. I am still trying to figure that one out. So mom don't stress about driving in the snow when you take the girls back to school. The more you stress about driving in the snow and ice the more likely you’re going to have something happen. The Lord is on your side and he knows you very well. Just put your trust and faith in him. Driving in the snow and ice is really easy. You just got to drive smart and watch out for the dumb people on the roads. But anyways I hope the weather clears up for you all. I can't believe that Lindsay is going to college. I don't feel as old as I am. The kids we talked to in the village thought I was 24 years old. Freak I am turning into an old fart. Ugh.

I am sorry I can't think of to many missionary moments from this week. The weekend trip kind of made me forget what happened earlier in the week. Oh ya I remember something. We got 2 feet of snow last Monday to Wednesday. It was crazy driving in that. There were no roads plowed or anything. But other than that things are good. Well I got to get going now but thanks so much again for all the love and support. You are all in my prayers. Have a great week and spread some Christmas cheer.

Love,

Elder Woolbert

No comments:

Post a Comment