Mission Home Address:

Elder Ammon Woolbert
Alaska Anchorage Mission
3250 Strawberry Rd.
Anchorage, AK 99502





Monday, January 14, 2013

Near Death Experience


Dear Family and Friends,

My and companion and I had a really good week full of teaching and what not. We also had a really close call as well. Mom, I thought it was ironic that you had been thinking about me more this week than normal. This was the first time on my mission that I had a near death experience. So before you freak out mom we are both totally fine and in good health and we don't have a scratch on us. Ha-ha. Ok and no freaking out and calling the mission home.  So Saturday night we were on our way home after we had a great lesson with Logan and Amber. They live way out on Haystack Mountain. It’s like a 35 minute drive from our house. Well we are driving along doing about 60 mph in a 55 mph zone and we come over the crest of this hill. It's a very big hill, not really steep just long and strait. So we are at the top and at the bottom of the hill there is a sweeping left turn and around the corner comes two jeeps and behind them is an 18 wheeler. They are just driving then the middle jeep goes to pass the jeep in front and he quickly does so but he does not get over into his lane. He stays in my lane and keeps going. He was going pretty fast at least 70 mph. Well I see this and I don't freak out because I just figured he would get back over. Well he doesn't. He keeps coming so I start to slow down but the roads are icy so you can't slow down fast. Well I am pulling the truck off to the shoulder as much as I can without going off the hill. Well no joke he is about twenty feet in front of us and I just crank the steering wheel into the snow bank totally expecting to go over the hill but the truck comes to a total stop in less than five feet but the back end of the truck was still in the road and this guy was heading right for us and he kept drifting on more of an angle to hit us. At the last second I pulled into the snow bank and he should have hit us. I am not making it up, the door behind me and the bed of the truck should have been hit head on by him but he missed us by inches. This guy was trying to kill us. Before we left Logan and Amber's house they asked me to say the prayer and I always ask for safe travels and I always have safe travels but this time I could see the Lord at work. He truly protected us from that crash. My and companion and I should have been dead or in a hospital but do to the Lord and his mercy we were saved. It's something that I will never forget. We are in the Lords hands and when we do what is right he will protect us. I know my prayers were answered and I know all your prayers were as well. Thanks for all your love and support.

So about the rest of this week. We had a lot of good lessons and gave a few blessings and did some service. Our numbers didn't look amazing but the work we did was good and we had a lot of families that we have been working with come to church this Sunday. It was great. The work will go forth.  My and companion and I have a lot of fun sometimes too much fun. It can be a struggle some times to be serious in a lesson together. Ha-ha.  I guess your sense of humor on a mission gets a little weird but it's what keeps you sane.

So we are going to Utah in July? Hmm.  No one told me about that. What if I have a job? I do plan on working as much as possible when I get home because I am broke.  Plus that's fishing season in Alaska. Moose season is in September. I got to be able to pay for that. I don't want to lose my residence but we will talk when I get home. There is nothing more than I can think of that I might need at the moment but thanks. Well I need to get going. I love you all so much. Have a good week and be safe and I will as well.

Love,

Elder Woolbert

No comments:

Post a Comment