Mission Home Address:

Elder Ammon Woolbert
Alaska Anchorage Mission
3250 Strawberry Rd.
Anchorage, AK 99502





Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Valdez, AK


Hey ya’ all back in the land southward,

            Things are great up here in Zion. So we drove up to Valdez on Wednesday. We kind of got a late start so we didn't leave until like three in the afternoon. Not good but we made the drive in good time like always. I was driving. Ha-ha. It was a nice sunny day and such a pretty drive. Just Monster Mountains all over covered in snow and glaciers all over too. So we made it to Valdez around 8:30 ish and it was starting to get dark. That night it started snowing and it didn't stop until this morning. Ha-ha. We already had about 5 feet of snow on the ground when I got here and then it snowed another 3 feet. Hahahah. Woo, I am in heaven. There is so much snow. You drive down tunnels of snow to get to people’s houses. The snow walls are taller than the truck. It's so crazy. I have never seen anything like this before. It's truly kind of trippy to wake up to all the snow every day.

            So it is just a branch up here. There is no ward. It had also been spring break the last two weeks and no one, I mean no one was home. Ha-ha. Go figure they are all in tropical places. Lame.  But I got to meet half the people on Sunday in our little branch building. Ha-ha. It's so cool. I love this little town. The police chief is a member and he was one of the first people that I met and we hit it off right away. Cops have a sick job here in Valdez.  So Sara's husband is coming up here? That's cool. I am trying to think of what we need but not much comes to mind. I want to give them something so they can help me. I want them to get those blessings of helping the missionaries. Well I could use some more quinoa. I have used half the bag already and by then I am sure I will need more. So probably that. That should be kind of easy for them to bring I think. That's cool that they want to help me. I really wish I could meet her. Maybe when I come back to Anchorage before I leave I will get to see them. Please tell them thank you so much for their love and support. It really means a lot to know that I have extended family in Alaska.

            Well my companion is Elder Parkin. Ha-ha. I love this guy. He is so funny. We will be keeping in touch after the mission for sure. He has only been out seven and a half months. I feel like an old man. I can't believe that I have been out this long. It seems like a flash that my mission went by when you’re at the end of it looking back. There are so many good memories that I think about and they seem so long ago but they really are not. I do not know. It's weird or maybe I am losing my mind which is quite possible.

            Hey so I got a question? Are you killing any cows before I come home? If so please please save me the cow tongue. Have dad do it and I know you are freaking out mom but I want it. I won't make you eat it. It truly makes the best tacos I have ever ever had, bar none. So just clean it and wrap it up and put it in the freezer. Cool. Well I was a little sad to hear about the Montana trip getting shot down. I wanted to go so bad. But that's life. It never goes the way you want it to. I will just try and go by myself with Uncle Dave to Montana. Who knows? I will get over it.

So this week has been super cool but I have also got some really sad news. It kind of broke my heart. The family that I was teaching in Fairbanks, Logan and Amber, have started going to other churches and have gone back to their old ways. It sucks because they were so cool and we were all like family up there. We were over there like three times a week and they had come so far and were doing so good and they were truly happy. Then stuff happened with the elders and then they had no contact with the elders for like 5 weeks. They just fell. Ugh it makes me mad but dang sad. There is also a missionary who has become one of my friends that I have had to help out a lot and kind of be a mentor to and he is trying to go home. He is going to fly out today. It's just hard to see people fall. I can't imagine what it is like be a parent and see a child go wayward. Oh well what can you do other than love them and pray for them.

            Well, I will get going but thanks for the letters and emails. I love you all. Have a good week and see you all real soon.

 Love,

Elder Woolbert

No comments:

Post a Comment